Why sports therapy?
A sports therapist as well as carrying out sports massage will work on the management and treatment of soft tissue injury(not just sporting issues) using a variety of techniques including massage therapy,soft tissue mobilization and release,myofascial release,trigger point therapy,muscle energy techniques,peripheral joint mobilisations.By the methods used this is a very hands on approach and if appropriate will followed up with a rehabilitation programme to help the return to sport or daily activities of life.
Maintenance or rehabilitation sports massage therapy
This is best carried out minimum of 48 hours before an event and is used for:
• Increasing flexibility and range of motion
• Reduction of muscle scar tissue formation
• Muscle soreness, stiffness, cramps and pain
• Recharges and renews the body and reduces the risk of injury
• Prevention of injury
• Increase in performance potential
Post-event sports massage therapy
Carried out 1-24 hours after vigorous exercise or a race.
• Relieves muscle cramps and spasm
• Starts the process of removing lactic acid build up and other toxins in muscles that occur after exercise
• Stretches and relax the muscles
• Speeding up of the healing process.
Pre-event sports massage therapy
Carried out from 10 minutes to an hour before a race.
• Warms and stimulates the muscles
• Increasing blood circulation
• Reduced risk of injury
• Increased flexibility and greater range of motion.
Lymphatic drainage is a light form of massage
• This works with the lymphatic system which runs alongside the blood vessels
• Stimulated Lymph nodes and then flow of lymphatic fluid is pushed up by massage removing toxins and excess fluid
• Swelling can be reduced from swollen tissue
• The bodies immune system is supported and stimulated so aiding the bodies natural healing system.
Kinesiology taping & Benefits of Sports Massage
On skin, the Kinesio Tape pulls the upper layers of skin, creating more space between the dermis and the muscle. The space created is believed to relieve pressure on the lymph channels in the area between the muscle and the dermis, creating more space for lymph flow and thus better lymph drainage through an affected area. This space also houses various nerve receptors that send specific information to the brain. When the space between the epidermis and the muscle is compressed, such as during an injury, these nerve receptors are compressed and send information to the brain regarding continuous touch, light touch, cold, pain, pressure, and heat. This information causes the brain to send out certain signals to the body on how to react to particular stimuli. Kinesio Tape alters the information that these receptors send to the brain and causes a less reactive response in the body, allowing the body to work in a more normal manner and removing some of the roadblocks that normally slow down the healing process.
Kinesio tape also is felt to affect deeper tissues in the body. Increased space theoretically allows muscles greater contractibilty which in turn pushes more fluid through the muscle, resulting in better muscle performance. The end results are believed to be reduced muscle fatigue, increase in range of motion, and better quality of muscle contraction.
Kinesio Tex Tape is used to improve joint alignment by affecting the muscles and fascia and can reduce poor function of a joint by influencing opposing muscle groups and joint mobility.Article above from medicinenet.com<
Benefits of Sports Massage
- Prevention and removal of waste products from the body
- Increased range of movement and muscle flexibility
- Reduction of delayed onset muscle soreness
- Breaking down and reduction of scar tissue
- Increased blood and lymphatic circulation
- The release of muscle tension and pain
- Speeding up of the healing process
- Increase in performance potential
- Reduction of swelling
- Prevention of injury
Do you experience stiffness, aching muscles and joints, stress/ anxiety or poor posture?
Benefits of Workplace Massage
- Prevention and removal of waste products from the body so increasing general well-being.
- Increased range of movement and muscle flexibility leading to better and more relaxed posture.
- The release of muscle tension and pain helping to relieve stress tension and anxiety. .
- Increased blood and lymphatic circulation ,which boosts immune system reducing the occurrence of illness.
- Leaves you feeling relaxed , rebalanced and revitalised.
How does it work